The 12th day of March 2011
A start, and for now we’re still with the stock range.. a few Dissidents in need of some personality.
They are each put through the drum sander to flatten each face of the instrument.
and then the carving begins, we’re not really known for our strat type custom guitars
but this design really works for me.. of course we’ve added a few modern design twists, there’s no excuse for failing to improve on a design in its sixties!
The edges are rounded over and the two chestnut Dissidents are done..
Now, the two Dissidents that have humbuckers are solid bubinga, and bloody hard.. the arbortech loaded angle grinder is needed.
It rips through the bubinga like butter, the curves are then sanded flat with a random orbital..
the rest of the carving begins and the shavings fly!!
A modern, and incredibly comfortable design,
sexy as hell too!!
though from the front it does look rather unassuming, no?
templates templates templates.. paf hollow tone chambers
robert fripp hollow chambers…
the body blanks are each marked out
and I take a side road and sharpen a bunch of forstner bits.. there is nothing worse than a blunt drill bit!!
or more pleasurable than a really really sharp one!
The RF Hollow is routed out
followed by the PAF’s..
once the back is carved I will figure out the final depth of these chambers..
but for now I’ve had enough of the dust..
an inlay for Mr Snyder’s guitar.. the printout is cut out
followed by a Mother of Pearl blank
which is recessed and then glued into the headstock cap
Now for the bespoke Delta guitar, the side dots are installed
and then we move to a small problem, this build was started by the client over a two week visit last year and he forgot to hide the joint at the end of the fretboard under the 24th fret..
I’m rather surprised that this worked at all but a diamond disk in the dremel cuts a new fret slot with ease.. the body and ‘board are at the same level so I’m not able to use my usual saw here..
25 frets seemed a bit wierd so in the end I stretched to 26 and it seems to work rather well indeed.. the client thinks it’s all very spinal tap indeed!
the frets are glued in, clamped up and left to cure.
Now to the Muse Descendant..
It’s fretboard is masked off
and the frets leveled and profiled and then highly polished
the rosewood bloard is cleaned with lighter fluid and then oiled.. repeatedly!
Now, in order to not damage the ferrules I bang the in with a carefully modified bit of old drill bit
I use threaded inserts with machine bolts to hold my strap buttons in place.. you don’t want to be dropping one of my guitars through a loose strap button screw!
now, due to the lack of space because of the touch screen I’m having to be creative here.. the steel tubes extemd from the body far enough that the strings do not foul on the body of the bridge..
A custom metal nut is fitted.
Followed by some not so custom tuners.. I haven’t figured out how to make these yet!
A seymour duncun invader at the neck and a Bareknuckle made Manson pickup in the bridge fill out the pickup complement.
Finally the new guitar is strung!
the custom string through system works perfectly and looks pretty good as well (though I am biased!)
Next up the toch screen..and it’s led need installing.
The jack plate..
made to match the curvature of the body
The control cavities are shielded, carefully.. this is starting to feel a bit ‘moon lander’
The final ingredient, and the first time I’ve tried it,, is to install a fuzz box..
lot’s of small, cheap componants.. though hopefully not with a cheap sound!
The main magnetic control componants are installed next
and wired.. mostly.. I still have some playing around to do with the screen and the true bypass switch on the fx circuit, well it’s not quite bypassing anything yet!!
Have a great weekend!!