the 22nd day of February 2011
now, the new range of Crimson guitars.. guitars.. needs a fairly standard easily reproducable neck joint..
both sides of the template are to be made out of some nice thick acrylic, this works much better than mdf etc over the long term
takes a bit of work to cut though, a hacksaw type blade on the jig saw helps.. though the vibration was something fierce! ..dewalt tools are far from my favourite brand!
the end result is a perfect fitting pair of templates..
the weather seems to be turning.. slowly, but we’re all feeling a bit happier with out lot! ..last night I saw my neighbour for the first time since the snows in December!! We’ve both been hunkered down inside avoiding the weather, and we live in sunny south west England so it really hasn’t been that bad at all!
anyway, weather be damned.. I’ve decided to have the neck joint go all the way under the neck humbucker in the stock range of guitars
which means a new neck pocket template needs making.. of course!
now the real fun begins, I mark out the neck blanks on various planks of wood, taking care to assure the grain is optimal
the cross cut saw is rather useful here
this plank of padouk was particularly massive, the grain is perfect for single piece necks though
finally we move over to the bandsaw, loaded with an inch deep rip blade short work is made of the mahogany
any waste is avoided if possible and I cut as many necks out of the planks as is possible, off cuts go on a shelf, when they are large enough, and will be cut up to make headstock extensions and the like eventually
bubinga! My favourite hard maple substitute!
an end to this days work and the dust has truly flown.. not a few neck blanks sitting there settling down to their new shapes..
now, the paf signature has volunteered to donate it’s pickups to a good cause
the bareknuckles in the paf 25 just didn’t do it for the client who’s giving her a new home
so a swap is made
and it’s rather succesful!
now to the custom delta guitar, I’ve tested out a few non-commercial grain filling methods that all seem to be rather labour intensive
the excess from the latest is sanded away with the large random orbital sander
and the whole instrument is fine-sanded up to 320 grit
the edges are rounded over slightly by hand
and I mix up some rustins grain filler.. it’s time I used a proprietary product, and actually followed the instructions on the tin!!
while the test patch cures it’s on to a design session, I seem to be the man to go to if you want sustainer, magnetic pickups and MIDI in a guitar.. this beast will even have the ghost piezo system.. beautiful!
a little ‘metal’ as well.. I can’t wait!
the rustins works as expected.. it’s amazing what reading the instructions will do for a man.. I’ve had this tin for at least six years and not bothered!?
the thin paste is rubbed into the grain roughly with cross grain movement
and then, being careful not to get any in my tea, the excess is rubbed off with a thinners soaked rag.. the beautiful flamed maple neck woods just pop when wet!
now, the Muse Descendant has had more lacquer applied which has now cured
the whole instrument has to be rubbed down to a matt finish.. 2500 grit wet and dry paper does the trick.. though it is a rather long process!
it’s almost anathema to me to remove a lovely gloss finish :(
the fretboard masking is taken off
and the fretboards edges are gently rounded over and excess lacquer removed with a sharp scalpel
finally it’s back to the mundane.. t-cut is liberally applied
and, after a bit of elbow grease, the matt finish we’ve been trying for appears. The solid black back looks ok
but to mu mind you can’t beat a good, pretty, highly figured top!
now, from the last processes to the first.. I need to test out the new templates
first off the neck pocket is routed into a descendant template for marking out purposes
then it’s to the big boy.. my bulkiest machine is the drum sander
one of the Dissident blanks is put through the sander to flatten off both faces
the outline, pickup and neck cavities are marked out and double checked
and then are drilled out with a forstner bit on the big pillar drill
after a bit of routing the end result is looking great! I’m known as more of a les paul fan but i do love a good doublecut guitar
the last stage of the test is to make a neck blank the right shape.. bubinga dust flies
and here is a perfect fitting neck joint, ready for either glueing or bolting in place.. superb!
All my best to you and yours,
Crimson Custom Guitars HQ