A deposit for the intensive 3-month Guitar Building Course/12 weeks under the tutelage of an experienced luthier at Crimson Guitars in the UK. The cost of the full course is £4,195 including the £500 deposit.
This course is meant for dedicated students who wish to learn all of the skills needed to start building instruments for a living.
Students will build three instruments during their time at Crimson. One flat top t-type, one carve top single cut, and one bespoke instrument designed from scratch under our tutelage during your last six weeks. This is an opportunity to gain all of the skills potential employers are looking for in a new Luthier.
Students will leave with three completed builds under their belt encompassing a variety of techniques in order to cover the widest range of techniques possible.
Learn these skills in a fully outfitted workshop with an experienced instructor and training assistant guiding you through each and every process. We are there to answer all of your questions and ensure you leave with all of the knowledge needed to repeat the procedures covered on any instrument.
Design and material specs must be finalized and approved at least one month before course start to ensure that all necessary materials can be ordered in good time. Timbers and hardware can be purchased through us at an additional cost to the course. You may, however, choose to bring your own materials and hardware, if you wish. Please fill in the Specification sheet for a quote and to confirm that you will be bringing the correct materials.
The Specification Sheet and Student Questionnaire will be downloadable on purchase, please fill these in and email them to email@example.com care of James Blackburn. The questionnaire is simply to tell the instructor of your woodworking experience so that the course can be catered to each student.
- Weeks One through Three – Health and safety, tool use, basic joinery. Build a flat top T-type instrument going over each element carefully to ensure retention and comprehension.
- Weeks Four through Six – Begin designing the third instrument. Build a carve top single cut guitar to reiterate and expand upon the skills learned during the first build.
- Weeks Seven through Twelve – Build your bespoke instrument. Take the skills learned during the previous two guitars and perfect them while learning some advanced construction and design techniques.
Dates currently available:
- 25th September – 15th December 2017
- 8th January – 29th March 2018
- 4th June – 24th August 2018
- 24th September – 14th December 2018
- 7th January – 29th March 2019
- 3rd June – 23rd August 2019
- 23rd September – 13th December 2019
When you are ready to make your booking, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org to finalize your dates.
Your days with us will begin at 9 am with coffee/tea and lunch breaks, and end at 5 pm. There are local shops and pubs within a 10-minute drive of Crimson Guitars though most students bring a packed lunch. We highly recommend the Thimble Inn for a laid back evening meal.
With our studio based in the picturesque rolling fields of Dorset, close to the town of Dorchester, take this opportunity to combine a unique experience with a refreshing holiday. We even have our own booking agent called Julie, who will kindly help you find somewhere lovely to stay, in an ideal location, and at a great price.
Please get in touch for more information about accommodation and to let us know how we can help you be the best guitar maker you can be. A full Specification Sheet and Student Questionnaire form will be downloadable on purchase.
Check out our YouTube channel for more videos of guitar building tutorials and demo videos.